Arabian Ground Beef With Vegetables
Arabian ground beef with vegetables is another recipe from the kitchen of Mother M that has its counterpart in Mama L’s which I will feature next. This ground beef with vegetables from the Saudi kitchen that is Mother M’s has the distinct taste of the Saudi local mixed spices they call baharat and the teasing taste of turmeric. This recipe frequents my kitchen especially on lazy days, as it is easy to prepare and cook. My hubby loves this; well, why not? I find the aroma of the mixed spice while it darkens with the onions very intriguing. I am sure you would enjoy this dish like we always do!
Ground Beef with Vegetables
- 1/2 k lean ground beef
- 1 medium-sized onion diced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potatoes
- or 1/2 cup diced pumpkin
- 1/2 cup green beans cut to 1/2"
- 2 tbsps vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp baharat
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato paste mixed with 1/2 cup water
- Sautee garlic and onion in oil until golden.
- Add turmeric and baharat and stir for 1 minute (or more, but not less).
- Add ground beef, stir while cooking, breaking them apart and till all the juices have evaporated.
- Add salt, ground black pepper, water, and all the vegetables, except parsley/coriander; continue to stir for a few seconds; simmer till vegetables are almost limp.
- Add the tomato paste mixture then let simmer over medium heat for a few more minutes.
- Top with chopped parsley or coriander before serving over steamed rice or with khobuz.