Fried Rice with Left-Over Chicken Nuggets
Did you know that fried rice is best with left-over steamed white rice? A day old, if not a little longer, the one sitting in your refrigerator waiting to be sentenced.
I had seen otherwise. A few friends and relatives would cook white rice and then fry it as they would. Nothing wrong with that, however, this is not fried rice at its best. The reason, primarily, is that freshly cooked rice tends to fall apart when used in any fried rice recipe. That’s the general rule then.
You want an exception to that rule? I have one, and this is learned from experience as someone who is a rice-person for life. Basmati rice, as long as it is not cooked too wet that it becomes mushy.
Easy recipe for cooking fried rice, seriously from my mother’s kitchen:
- left-over steamed fried rice
- cooking oil
I purposely did not include measurements as you there is no general rule in the amount. You can use your preference. My dad uses the same ingredients as well, however, his version does not have as much salt as my mom’s. I love them both.
- Break rice using your hands (yeah, do not forget to wash your hands first. Apart from hygienic reasons, the rice becomes stale easily otherwise).
- Heat the pan over medium fire for a couple of minutes. Put rice on the pan and stir until a bit dry. Sprinkle with salt and cooking oil and stir again.
- Serve immediately.
That is the simplest fried rice can get. Variations then depend largely on many factors, and the rule is that “the extent of your creativity is the limit.” Using the same basic recipe above, a few popular variations would be:
- Egg fried rice. add scrambled egg on the same recipe above.
- Garlic fried rice: fry garlic (as the first step) and follow the rest of the steps. Or simply add fried garlic in the basic fried rice at end of cooking.
- Vegetable fried rice: add diced and steamed vegetables at the end of cooking
The list goes on.
Chicken fried rice recipes are abundant. But this one from my bestie, Tina, is a real-deal for me as its ingredients are really from left overs.
Now, you can just imagine, fried rice with chicken nuggets are left-over stuff. This is what Tina, my friend who does not cook 😊, shared with me. She said that as they both belong to the same specie: left-over items, as simple as that.
Creative, isn’t she?
Tina's Fried Rice with Left-Over Chicken Nuggets
- Left over chicken nuggets cut into mini bite-size pieces, as in fried chicken nuggets from your favorite burger joint
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- salt, to taste
- Left-over steamed white rice
- Separate the grains of cooked white rice by mashing them with a ladle or with your hands (wash your hands, please 😊) Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan and fry garlic over medium heat. Add chicken nuggets and stir once, then add white rice. Continue to stir until the rice is heated up or to your desired doneness. Sprinkle with salt.